I like to know what the real cost of something is. How much bookcloth, bookboard, textpaper, etc. goes into the books that I make, and what do they cost me? This is important if you want to sell them and not lose money. After ordering a galloon of PVA one day I realized that I was leaving one rather significant item out of the total, the glue.
I dated the bottle (visible on the not shown side) and started noting down every book I made. I developed a shorthand for the type of book, or book task. I noted how many in a session. I even noted if there was waste left (I pour out the glue that I'm using for a session and don't put it back in the bottle). I got very good at judging how much glue was needed for a given task.
From this information I was able to extrapolate how many of my regular journals I can make from this quantity of glue. I can now take that cost into account when working out supply costs. I can also plan my glue purchases so that I always have sufficient glue on hand.
When I finished the bottle, however, and saw it sitting on my work bench, empty, it struck me that THIS IS A JOURNAL. It's a journal of my glue use; a made in the moment document. Just like my Daily Dots provide a running account of time spent observing my dog, this journal gives a running account of my glue use while binding. The logged on times also reflect my real desire to make books all the time, and the reality of working with a shoulder injury during this time.
It's almost exactly 12 inches tall.
Artwork © 2003 Roz Stendahl; All Rights Reserved
Photo © 2005 Tom Nelson; All Rights Reserved